10 Best Safety Tips:
1. NEVER give out identifying information – home address, school name, phone number, bank account information, names of parents, siblings, or children.
2. Get to know how to use a computer, the Internet and any services your child uses (Instant Messenger, websites, blogs, game rooms, etc).
3. Never allow a child to meet with another computer user without parental permission, and preferably with parental supervision.
4. Never respond to email, IM messages, or bulletin board items that are suggestive, obscene, belligerent, threatening, or make you feel uncomfortable.
5. Do not click on the “remove from email” or “unsubscribe” hyperlinks in email that you do not know the sender of. Just delete the email.
6. Report inappropriate messages to law enforcement.
7. Remember that people online may not be who they seem to be or who they say they are.
8. Set reasonable rules and guidelines for computer use by your children.
9. Place the computer in a “common” room so that you can easily see what is on the computer monitor while your child is using it.
10. Make the Internet a family activity so that both you and your child can learn and be safe.